Monday 21 December 2015

12 Beers Of Xmas Day 2 - Roman Imperial Stout

It's day 2 of the @BeerOClockShow #12BeersOfXmas and Christmas would not be complete without an imperial stout to savour and I have had some crackers in the past.  This one comes from the Downton Brewery based in Wiltshire.  The brewery name comes from the village in which they are located close to the northern edge of the New Forest with views of Salisbury Cathedral to the north.  I have enjoyed their bottled Chimera IPA (6.8% ABV) before but other than that I know very little about them.  This particular bottle was purchased from Beers of Europe for the princely sum of £3.19 so quite a bargain as long as it tastes good.



Let's get this bottle opened then.  No fizz at all when I flipped off the top and not much life when I poured it either but a few bubbles surfaced by the time I had it poured.  I was pleased to find it tasted fine with the right amount of carbonation.  My wife didn't like it but that's not unusual for this type of beer.  She thought it tasted like a very strong HP sauce.  I've never trie dthat before so I wouldn't know. I thought it had plenty of flavours which were well balanced.  Quite rich with notes of molasses, liqorice, some chocolate and some raisin.  There wasn't much in the way of smokiness or coffee.  There was a nice rich body to it with a bittersweet finish.  Not as good as other imperial stouts I have had but a long way from being the worst.  A very pleasant beer indeed and one I would go for again.

Cheers.     

No comments:

Post a Comment