Thursday 10 January 2013

Firefly Brewery / Pub, Worcester

My first discovery of the year is the Firefly pub in Worcester.  I have not been to Worcester during my adult life so I have no idea whereabouts it is in relation to anywhere else in the city as I just followed my satnav instructions.  However, it is apparently in a regenerated part of the city and the pub itself is housed in a delightful Georgian building. 

The first unusual feature of the pub is a solid glass front door that is reached up a twisty stone staircase edged with iron railings.  Entering the bar you have to adjust your eyes to the darkness.  The fairy lights covering the ceiling and adorning the deer's head above the fireplace do little to add much light but it has a nice atmosphere.  Down a few steps to the left of the bar is an equally gloomy snug with more sofas and comfortable seating. 

The brewery is a small 0.5 barrel plant and there were 5 house beers available.  The chocolate stout (5.0% ABV) was tempting as was the Simcoe IPA (6.0% ABV) but I decided to try the American Pale Ale (4.8% ABV).  It was a lovely golden colour, had an inviting citrus aroma and the flavour was bursting with hops with a very pleasant bitter aftertaste. 

In addition to their own beers there was an interesting selection of craft beers on tap.  Two Brewdog beers (a Christmas beer and 5am Saint), Dobber from Manchester's Marble Brewery and a beer from the Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge.  I am yet to sample beers from these modern 'craft' brewers and if I wasn't driving I would love to have tried them all.  In addition to these British craft beers there was the lovely Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from California available.  For cider drinkers there were two selections to choose from.

Taking my pint I retired to the snug as the tables were all taken in the bar.  Early on a Thursday evening this has to be a good sign.  A local CAMRA publication was available which I picked up for a read but the dim light in the snug made this difficult.  Beyond the snug was a door to a partially covered garden.  Above the main bar is an upstairs bar that opens at weekends and occasionally during the week for live music.

Overall, this pub is a delight.  An interesting range of craft beers in addition to their own excellent range offers plenty of choice for the beer drinker.  There is also a selection for cider lovers.  There is a choice of rooms in which to sit and the only negative point would be the lack of light all round.   A corner to sit and read without straining my eyes would have been nice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment